[Samba] Re: question about samba roaming profile

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed May 7 15:16:39 GMT 2003

On Wed, 7 May 2003, Martin Kaplavka wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have question about samba roaming profile... Is it possible, set up
> roaming profile only for one user, or a group of users ? Thank you very
> much for your time...

With samba-2.2.x the choice you have is to enable or disable roaming
profiles support. It is a global only setting. The default is to have
roaming profiles and the default path will locate them in the user's home
directory.

If disabled globally then no-one will have roaming profile ability.
If enabled and you want it to apply only to certain machines, then on
those machines on which roaming profile support is NOT wanted it is then
necessary to disable roaming profile handling in the registry of each such
machine.

With samba-3.0.0 (soon to be released) you can have a global profile
setting in smb.conf _AND_ you can over-ride this by per-user settings
using the Domain User Manager (as with MS Windows NT4/ Win 2Kx).

In any case, you can configure only one profile per user. That profile can
be either:

	1. A profile unique to that user

	2. A mandatory profile (one the user can not change)

	3. A group profile (really should be mandatory ie:unchangable)

- John T,

--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org