[Samba] Executing a Windows Executable on a Samba Share from Windows XP

Daniel Betschart daniel.betschart at web.de
Wed May 7 14:51:41 GMT 2003

 From a Windows NT 4.0 Workstation I can run Windows Executables (*.EXE)
from a Share without a problem.

No I have two new Workstations, each with Windows XP. From there it is
not possible any more to run a Windows Program from a Share. Windows
shows me a box with the message that I have no access or no permissions
for this action.

I think it has to do with the permissions. Since Windows 2000 there is a
new attribute on NTFS partitions, Read & Execute. I not set this from
the Windows XP client, but if I reopen the file security dialog the
checkbox is always cleared.

The permission Read is not enough to run a Program, you must habe Read &
Execute permissions. But I don't want to give Change permisson.

I have installed several software packages to run from the share.

I am using Samba 2.2.7a. I have donwloaded 2.2.8a, but not installed yet.

I running SuSE Linux 7.3 with Kernel 2.4.16-4GB on a Pentium II 266 System.

Daniel