[samba] unix password sync

Dennis Knies dknies at studenten.net
Wed May 7 14:48:33 GMT 2003

Hi,

This is my last (desperate) attempt to get the "unix password sync" working

I've been trying to get it working for weeks, but it still doesn't work.

Serverspecs: 	OS: 		FreeBSD 4.8-release
	Samba:	2.2.8

	Samba is working as a PDC using roaming profiles. This works fine.

If the option "unix password sync" in smb.conf (available @
http://home.studenten.net/~dknies/smb.conf)is enabled, the next situation
is created:

1) 	Root can change the unix-and smbpasswd for all users

2) 	A regular user kan chage his unix password using the 'passwd' command

		-bash-2.05b$ passwd
		Changing local password for dennis.
		Old password:
		New password:
		Retype new password:
		passwd: updating the database...
		passwd: done

	This user isn't abled to change the smbpassword using the 'smbpasswd'
command

		-bash-2.05b$ smbpasswd
		Old SMB password:
		New SMB password:
		Retype new SMB password:
		machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : RAP86: The
specified password is invalid.
		Failed to change password for dennis

	I'm sure the Old Password wasn't invalid. 	And the most strange thing is:
The unixpassword is changed into the net smbpassword.

3)	When a regular users wants to change his password in win2k (All the
clients are win2k overhere) 	this error will pop up:

		The system cannot change your password now because the domain
FreeBSDgroup is not available

I can't find errors in my logfiles which tell me anything about the errors
or the solutions.

Because I'm _really_ desperate I deinstalled everything on my system, but
the error keeps alive.

Can someone tell me anything about this problem, because I really don't
have a clue...

Thanks in advance,

Dennis Knies