[Samba] Printing problem. No English letters.

David Harel harel at ergolight-sw.com
Wed May 7 08:32:13 GMT 2003

Hi,

I configured a W2000 client to use a lexmark z25 printer on the server.
When I configured the client I got a warning that I configure a null
printer. So I defined the printer as an HP DeskJet 1200C/PS this way I
got postscript image to be sent to the server and there to be printed.
On the server I had to strip off the first lines until the
%!PS-Adobe-3.0 sign and the last two lines after the %%EOF. I did that
using an awk script that was added to the print procedure. All that
worked fine until I had to configure a W98 machine.
When using the W98 machine I encountered problems when printing from
Word XP.
English documents are not printed while Hebrew documents print just
fine. Also note that English text printed using other applications
worked fine.

Below are the smb.conf part and the awk script.

printer part of smb.conf
[lexmarkz25]
 comment = lexmarkz25
   path = /tmp
   create mask = 0700
   guest ok = yes
   hosts allow = 172.16.162. 10.0.0.
   printable = Yes
   printing = lprng
 browseable = yes
 print command =      /usr/bin/dos2unix %s;\
                      /usr/local/bin/smb2ps %s | /usr/bin/lpr
-Plexmarkz25  -J"smb lexmarkz25";\
                      rm %s
   lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Plexmarkz25
   lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Plexmarkz25 %j
   lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold lexmarkz25 %j
   lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release lexmarkz25 %j
   share modes = No
   use client driver = yes

awk script:
#!/bin/awk -f
#
# removes first 3 lines and last 2 lines (input expected from Windows
printing system)

$0 ~ /^\%\!PS-Adobe/,$0 ~ /^\%\%EOF/

--
Thanks.