[Samba] Permissions linux v. samba

tech mail tech-mail at prupref.com
Tue May 6 22:14:15 GMT 2003

I am trying to figure out file permissions when attached via samba as
opposed to when logged in to the local system

I read that the owner/group/world permissions and owner/group attributes
only affect the local file system, and that the smb.conf attributes for the
share name affect the files when connecting via samba.

However, I am experiencing different results.  I had a directory allowed via
samba by two groups.  Well, if group A made a directory group X could not
write a file to that directory.  Both groups were able to read the files and
go into all directories, just strange things happened with writing.

I needed to use force group to a shared group, force create mode 0775, force
directory mode 0775 and then everything was fine.

Am I interpreting something wrong?

Thanks