[Samba] DOMAIN level security with smbpasswd???

Mitchell, Andy Andy.Mitchell at delta.com
Tue May 6 13:35:42 GMT 2003

If you have set a WINS server, the following security setup should give you your 'ideal' scenario: NT domain authentication to a PDC with the ability to use a username map for cross platform account name mapping. Mapping to a generic (guest) account will happen automatically if you do not use 'guest ok = yes' (that may be the default, I don't know - we don't allow it)

        security          = DOMAIN
        password server   = *
        encrypt passwords = yes

Make sure your Samba server has been joined to the domain as a machine account.

I don't know the answer the first part (why an additional password file is used). I was never sure why the standard library routines like getpwent(), etc. weren't used. I'm sure there's a good reason.

Hope that helps.

Cheers - Andy