[Samba] samba listening on 139 and 445 with win2k

Iain Pople iain at webcentre.unimelb.edu.au
Tue May 6 05:59:32 GMT 2003

Hi,

I am having a lot of trouble in getting samba to
support the direct tcp option in Windows 2000 listening on port 445?

 From what I have read you need to run samba from inetd instead of stand
alone. So I added an entry in /etc/services :

samba           445/tcp                         # Samba via TCP

and a line in /etc/inetd.conf :

samba           stream  tcp     nowait  root  /usr/sbin/smbd

I am using samba v2.2.3a. When I search for the server name I can find
it in windows 2000 but when I click on the computer i get:

The account is not authorized to login from this station.

I can see incoming connection on port 445 from the client, and from the
logs it appears there is an error after negotiating the protocol (log
level 4):

   Selected protocol NT LM 0.12
[2003/05/06 15:54:53, 3] smbd/process.c:timeout_processing(1092)
   receive_smb error (Success) exiting

any ideas? success stories?

thanks, Iain.