[Samba] Red Hat 8.0 and Samba 2.2.5

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue May 6 00:18:33 GMT 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Ely Alves Pereira wrote:

> I've installed RH8 and samba 2.2.5 with success , my testparam is ok. When I
> type smbstatus I am receiving:
> Failed to open byte range locking database
> Error: Failed to initialize locking database
> cant initialize locking module.
> Does anyone know what is happening?

Yes. There is nothing wrong. This error message has been generated because
the locking database has not yet been created. It gets created
automatically the first time any client connection is made.

This problem has been fixed in later versions of samba.

PS: There is a security update on all versions of samba prior to 2.2.8a.
I strongly recommend that you update to 2.2.8a. RPM package for Red Hat
8.0 are available from the Red Hat and Samba FTP sites.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org