[Samba] Print Server

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Mon May 5 21:41:05 GMT 2003

Just keep a couple of things in mind.

My comments apply to lprng as the linux printing system.

Be sure you specify in the smb.conf file which system you are using.

When you print to a samba server, the print job is transferred to the
print spool defined in the smb.conf share. Then, the print command (which
you should specify in the share) is invoked to print this file. It is
usually best to filter the print job on the windows client before it
gets sent to the linux server, which should print it without having to
filter it.

If you understand this, and realize you can specify all the printing
commands in the share, then trouble shooting printing problems will be
straight forward in most cases.

This is an example of a smb.conf share for a printer. Note that you can have
anything you want for the printing commands. This is very handy.
lp]
	comment = Raw Printer for Z53
#	max print jobs = 1
	path = /tmp
	create mask = 0700
	guest ok = yes
	hosts allow = 192.168.
	printable = Yes
	printing = lprng
# 	print command = echo "Tried to print %s" > /SPOOL/junk.%s
 	print command = echo %J %p %s  >>  /tmp/junkJ;\
                       a="`echo '%J' | sed "s/^.*- //"`" ;\
	               echo This is truncated $a >> /tmp/junkJ;\
                       /usr/bin/lpr -Plp  -J"$a"  %s;\
                       rm %s
	lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Plp
	lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Plp %j
	lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold -Plp %j
	lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release -Plp %j
	printer name = lp
	share modes = No

Of course, you will need a print queue on the linux server that can
handle raw jobs. It is best to keep things simple.

Joel