[Samba] Cannot see samba server from windows XP or 2000

Nadia Parkar nparkar at umich.edu
Fri May 2 20:20:11 GMT 2003

I  recently installed samba-2.2.8a on a RedHatLinux 8.0 machine. The
installation went smoothly and I verified that it was done correctly.
The problem is I am unable to see the Samba server  from either windows
2000 or XP in my local network. I did also modify the smb.conf file
slightly, I gave my workroup a name and created a share, and some other
modifications. After I modified the file I ran the 'testparm' command
and got the following message:

Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[data]"
Loaded services file OK.
ERROR: lock directory /var/cache/samba does not exist
ERROR: pid directory /var/run/samba does not exist

I am not sure if there is something I need to do to rectify the two
errors I am getting.

  Also, if I uncomment the line -
*passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*   in the
smb.conf file and run 'testparm' I get an additional error :

"Ignoring  bad line in conf file...(referring to the line above).

Thankyou in advance for your help.

-nadia

nparkar at umich.edu