[Samba] Update to Printiing Chapter for Samba 3.0 HOWTO Collection available

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu May 1 23:53:26 GMT 2003

[crossposting to Samba, CUPS and Linuxprinting mailing lists...]

Hi,

I have updated the Draft for the Printing Chapter of the new Samba 3.0
HOWTO-Collection. It is available at

   http://www.linuxprinting.org/kpfeifle/SambaPrintHOWTO/

A PDF version (for convenient printing) is also there.

This is from the document's Changelog:

    01-05-2003: correct typos
                add a very lean smb.conf example
                work on other smb.conf examples
                how to use "testparm" to discover "hidden" settings
                how to set default driver values for all clients
                sketch out a logon script to install printers without user interaction

The Samba 3.0 HOWTO-Collection is due for publication alongside
the Samba 3.0 software release, probably sometime in May/June.
The complete collection of docus is already greatly enhanced and
extended, compared to the 2.2.x versions, and so is the printing
part.

Please help further polish it: read it - use it - test its advices
& recipes - feed your suggestions back to me. This way you can
help to make the Samba Printing Documentation a better one. (You
may also learn a bit from it at no cost at all... ;-)

The most recent PDF version of the complete HOWTO Collection is
(until final release) available at

   http://samba.org/~jht/NT4migration/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf

and also in the Samba HEAD CVS. (Note that this does not yet
include the Samba Printing HOWTO part I am asking you to check
and test.)

The printing draft contains 15 ASCII art flowcharts trying to to
clarify and explain various aspects of Windows --> Samba printing
and of CUPS printfile processing. However, I am not able to convert
this into something "nice". So here goes the call to all who are
willing and able to help out with their abilities to use one of the
Free Software drawing or graphic programs: Please provide some better
illustrations for this important documentation.

Thanks,
Kurt