[Samba] netbios name

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Thu May 1 19:18:28 GMT 2003

> Kevin,
>
> I'm trying to use the samba server as a wins server, here is
> how my samba is
> set up.
>
> appreciate any help.
>
> Chris
>
> # Samba config file created using SWAT
>
> # from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
>
> # Date: 2003/05/01 13:34:20
>

> # Global parameters
>
> [global]

<SNIP>

> 	wins proxy = Yes
>
> 	wins server =
>
> 	wins support = Yes

<SNIPPED Again>

Chris:

I'm not sure, but unless you've got multiple subnets on your network, I
don't think you need the "wins proxy = yes" line.

In fact this may be the very thing that is stopping the WINS service
from working.  According to "SAMBA Unleashed" by Steve Litt, et al.:
"For the WINS Proxy to work correctly, the 'wins server' parameter must
be filled with the address for a WINS server and 'wins proxy' must be
set to yes."  This leads me to believe that while Samba is being
directed to be a WINS Proxy, it can't act a WINS Server (because "wins
sever" and "wins support" are mutually exclusive).  I would change the
"wins proxy = yes" to "wins proxy = no" (or comment it out/delete it
altogether), restart Samba and see what happens.

If that doesn't work, the next question I have is: Does your Windows
client have the IP address of the Samba server listed as its "WINS
Server"?  This setting is in the TCP/IP protocol properties of the
Network Setup.

Let me know,

Kevin