[Samba] no wins registering?

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Thu May 1 17:27:53 GMT 2003

Sorry that was a typo, on the Slave it's not commented out and has the
IP of the master.

They are on the same subnet, and right next to each other actually.

Thus spake daniel.jarboe at custserv.com (daniel.jarboe at custserv.com):

> Well, commenting out the wins server=<IP Of Master> line can't help.
> I'd re-enable that parameter first.  But that doesn't explain why it
> works for the first 24 hours.  Are these guys on the same subnet?
>
> If things continue to not work it might be worth experimenting with
> remote announce or remote brose sync.
>
> ~ Daniel
>
> >   I have multiple samba servers.  smb1 is my master, smb2 is a slave.
> > My master has this:
> >
> >   name resolve order=wins hosts bcast
> >   #   wins server=127.0.0.1
> >   wins support=yes
> >
> > The Slave has this:
> >   name resolve order=wins hosts bcast
> >   #   wins server=<IP OF Master>
> >   wins support=no
> >

> > After 24 hours the Master forgets who the slave is.  If I restart the
> > slave he notifies the master who updates his wins.dat happily.  Why is
> > the master forgetting who the slave is?  I can't get management to buy
> > off on a cronjob that restarts samba every morning.

> This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
> legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
> of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
> otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
> viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
> reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
> notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
> copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
> herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
> in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
> Thank you.

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: E344DA3B
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

IPv6 = robert at ipv6.rdlg.net	http://ipv6.rdlg.net