[Samba] Difficulty with Samba 2.2.8 and native CUPS PS drivers

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Mon Mar 31 10:36:08 GMT 2003

David F. Severski davidski at deadheaven.com wrote on Samba-Digest:

> Sun Mar 30 06:55:36 GMT 2003
>

> Kurt,
>
> First of all, thank you very much for your time and assistance here.  I greatly
> appreciate the effort.  Below are my results and some further information.
>
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 12:14:01AM +0100, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>
>> >I've recently attempted to convert from the Adobe PostScript drivers for
>> >my Canon BJC=2110 printer over to the native CUPS Windows PS drivers
>>
>> You can only do this if your CUPS version is sufficiently new.
>> Check by reading "man cupsaddsma". Does it already relate to the
>> CUPS PostScript drivers?
>
> The cupsaddsmb man page does mention the native CUPS drivers.  Sorry, I should
> have specified the CUPS version previously.  This is CUPS 1.1.18 running on
> a FreeBSD 4.8-RC (STABLE) machine.  Samba is, again, 2.2.8 and is compiled with
> the Recycle and SSL options.  Samba, CUPS, and the supporting gimp-print
> systems were all compiled from source via the FreeBSD ports system.
>
>> You might need to restart Samba to get it to work (if you have the printer
>> "Canon_BJC", or any other, newly installed).
>
> I've done a full stop of Samba, verifying that all smbd and nmbd processes have
> shut down, then restarted Samba.
>

>> If this doesn't help, let root do a
>>
>>    "smbcontrol smbd debug 3"
>>
>> and then watch
>>
>>    "tail -f /var/log/samba/log.smbd"    (or appropriate path)
>>
>> while you try to connect to Samba from XP.
>
> No luck there, I'm afraid.  In tests with two machines, both generated the
> error message about missing driver files, even though the properties of the
> connection show that a Windows NT/2000 driver is installed, and the CUPS
> native PS driver files are copied successfully into the Windows\System32\Spool\
> Drivers tree.  Attached are two gzipped log files, smb-desktop.log and
> smb-laptop.log.
>
> smb-desktop.log is an XP SP1 machine that is
> joined to the domain and logged in with an account that has write
> privileges to the print$ share.  The desktop had just been rebooted, logged
> in, the existing printer deleted, and the driver removed from the system
> via the Server Properties function.  No other printers or drivers were
> installed.
>
> smb-laptop.log is an XP SP1 laptop that is not part of the domain.  From a
> command prompt, I connected to the print$ share as root before deleting the
> existing printer connection, removing the printer driver via Server
> Properties, then reconnected to the printer.
>>
>> Make sure the connection is as a user who can write to the [print$] share.
>> Check which user you are from Samba's point of view, by asking for
>>
>>    "smbstatus"
>
> Verified to be either root (for the laptop), or my privileged login account
> for the desktop.

David,

can you please verify, that "cupsaddsmb -v [printername]" completes
successfully This means, you need to have the "smbclient" command
putting the files successfully to the "print$" share, and afterwards
read "success" meassages in the output: 2 for the "rpcclient addriver"
commands and 1 for the "rpcclient setdriver" command...

Cheers,
Kurt