[Samba] Samba 2.2.8 is failing on change machine account password

Hansjoerg Maurer Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Mon Mar 31 06:43:23 GMT 2003

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>If you run 'smbpasswd -t' it should do it on demand.

Hi,

thank you for the information.
It makes testing easier.
But unfortunatlly I get the same error.

I had performed several tests concerning the case sensitiv writing of
the domainname, but I got no solution.
(attached the matrix of values I have tested)
I removed the samba host (printserver3) each time from the domain unsing
the servermanager und added ist (with servermanger)
First join with
smbpasswd -j NTROBOTIC -r ROBPDC2
works
second try with
smbpasswd -t NTROBOTIC
2003/03/31 08:24:56 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password f
or domain NTROBOTIC.
fails.

printserver3 is a test system only, so I can use it for testing until
the end of the next week.
If I can supply further testing/information, please let me know.

Thank you

Hansjörg

smb.conf        smbpasswd       Servermanager   Result
NTROBOTIC       NTROBOTIC       NTROBOTIC       n
ntrobotic       ntrobotic       ntrobotic
NTROBOTIC       ntrobotic       ntrobotic       17.03.2003 18:00 Uhr
Netbios/smb.conf Workgroup/smb.conf Domain/smbpasswd PDC/smbpaswd
Servermanager/del     Servermanager/add       date            Result
---              NTROBOTIC          NTROBOTIC        ROBPDC2
Y                     Y                       25.03 8:30      bad
PRINTSERVER3     NTROBOTIC          NTROBOTIC        ROBPDC2
Y                     Y                       25.03 16:30     bad
printserver3     NTROBOTIC          NTROBOTIC        ROBPDC2
Y                     Y                       26.03 10:30     bad
printserver3     NTROBOTIC          NTROBOTIC        robpdc2
Y                     Y                       26.03 15:30     bad
PRINTSERVER3     NTROBOTIC          NTROBOTIC        robpdc2
Y                     Y                       26.03 17:00     bad
---              NTROBOTIC          NTROBOTIC        robpdc2
Y                     Y                       26.03 17:50     bad
---              ntrobotic          NTROBOTIC        ROBPDC2
Y                     Y                       27.03 8:30      bad
PRINTSERVER3     ntrobotic          NTROBOTIC        ROBPDC2
Y                     Y                       27.03 16:30
printserver3     ntrobotic          NTROBOTIC        ROBPDC2
Y                     Y                       27.03 10:30
--               NTROBOTIC          NTROBOTIC        ROBPDC2
Y                     Y (passwd server*)      27.03 10:30     bad
printserver3     ntrobotic          ntrobotic        robpdc2
Y                     Y                       27.03 15:30

Andrew Bartlett

Dr.  Hansjoerg Maurer           | LAN- & System-Manager

Deutsches Zentrum               | DLR Oberpfaffenhofen
  f. Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V.   |
Institut f. Robotik             |
Postfach 1116                   | Muenchner Strasse 20
82230 Wessling                  | 82234 Wessling
Germany                         |

Tel: 08153/28-2431              | E-mail: Hansjoerg.Maurer at dlr.de
Fax: 08153/28-1134              | WWW: http://www.robotic.dlr.de/