[Samba] Samba joins win2k domain but can't authenticate

Elijah Savage esavage at digitalrage.org
Sun Mar 30 19:44:00 GMT 2003

Because I never got answers from anyone I figured it might be a good
idea to post this resolution. It was very simple and I feel stupid for
not figuring it out sooner. Well my wife has a win2k machine that join
the domain fine but anytime she tried to access any of the files on the
samba server it would ask for user name and password. After verifying
that I had a good config and redoing everything many times I looked in
the logs which I should have done earlier hehehehe. Well here is the log
error

[2003/03/30 13:54:29, 0] smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1605)
  domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user wife in
domain MOM to Domain controller cartman. Error was
NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER.

Looking at this log I went wait a minute I know this machine joined the
domain because I did it and everything went ok. When my wife had
patience to sit and troubleshoot with me I had her logging in, and
wouldn't you know she was logging in locally to the machine which is
named MOM and not the domain. I go over to her machine and switch it to
log in to the domain and everything works perfectly. Hope this keeps
someone else from making the same stupid mistake I did. FreeBSD and
Samba great file server especially since I upgraded to gigabit. I got a
4 port hawkings gigabit switch and a cnet gigabit 32/64 gigabit card
which came with freebsd drivers installed no problem. This thing ROCKS.