[Samba] why user nobody

Robert Adkins II radkins at impelind.com
Fri Mar 28 16:27:44 GMT 2003

Gerd,

	The user 'Nobody' is an important "User" account on your
Linux/UNIX system. Under Linux/UNIX each application runs as a
particular user with the rights that the user has.

	What has happened is a service that is set to run as the user
'nobody' can no longer run. This service is likely linked to the
authentication process.

	If you recreate the entry that you just deleted, then Samba
should work once more.

	I would highly recommend that you pick up one or more books on
Linux/UNIX. Look for something that calls itself an introduction to
Linux or UNIX. Unfortunately, I don't have the one book on me that I am
thinking of, but I can say that the book did an excellent job of filling
me in on User and Group accounts, plus it explained how processes and
services are ran in Linux and UNIX.

	Linux/UNIX is like life in many ways, you can always learn
something new ever day and it opens up new horizons that you never knew
existed before. I can only recommend to keep plugging away and to read
as many books as possible on the subject, even books that cover the same
topic as one will likely cover a topic slightly different and expose a
few more very useful tidbits of information.

	Good luck!

Regards,
Robert Adkins II
IT Manager/Buyer