[Samba] Problem with Windows XP SP1 Client

Andrea Durante andrea.durante at metroitaly.it
Fri Mar 28 14:08:17 GMT 2003

Hi, i've tried to configure samba 2.2.7 + winbind on a Mandrake 9.0
linux system, and all work fine, but i've only a problem: when i connect
with any Windows XP Client the system ask to me the Username/password
(the computer is in a NT 4 domain) and in the syslog i can see this line:

rpc_client/cli_netlogon.c:cli_net_sam_logon_internal(406)
 cli_net_sam_logon_internal: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD
smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1621)
 domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user Admin in domain METRO_MILANO
to Domain controller *. Error was NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD.

but my password is correct otherwise i can't connect to the server!

Here is my smb.conf:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2003/03/28 14:54:54

# Global parameters
[global]
	client code page = 852
	workgroup = EDIZIONI_METRO
	netbios name = SUPPORT
	server string = Support Server for IT
	security = DOMAIN
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	update encrypted = Yes
	password server = *
	ssl CA certDir = /etc/ssl/certs
	log file = /var/log/samba.%m
	max log size = 50
	domain admin group = Administrators
	preferred master = No
	dns proxy = No
	wins server = 192.168.10.1
	winbind uid = 10000-20000
	winbind gid = 10000-20000
	winbind separator = +
	winbind use default domain = Yes

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	read only = No
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	printable = Yes
	browseable = No

I think that is too simple configuration, and the Win NT4 and Win 2000
client appears work good!

Thanks for the attention and sorry for my English.

Andrea Durante
Addetto ai Sistemi Informativi

Edizioni Metro Srl
Via della Lega Lombarda 32