[Samba] Access to shares for authenticated domain users only

Kevin bkk10400 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 27 12:45:42 GMT 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 07:11:55 +0000, Andrew wrote:

>While 'hacks' might be possible, shares are authenticated seperatly to the
>domain logon, and there is no linkage apart from the fact that the domain
>logon sets up the default username/pw pair.
>
>Fundementally, any restriction imposed by logon script/.pol files can be
>avoided - you must never trust the client to actually follow their directions...

Thanks Andrew. Point taken. Where would you go for more info on this sort of
security? In particular I'm trying to avoid unauthorised notebooks etc.
connecting to the network and then disappearing off home with sensitive data
from the server on their drives.

I was thinking about using SSH, but it seems like a lot of work to set up a
key for each user, and even then not foolproof.

Any suggestions welcome.