[Samba] Printing NT to Linux printer problem

John newsx2bestpond.com at samba.org
Thu Mar 27 04:39:18 GMT 2003

Using SuSE V8.0 Samba 2.2.7a on a small network I have a Lexmark laser
printer attached to the Linux PC, using Cups 1.1.15.

I was able to print from Linux OK, and some months ago had setup  the Win
NT PC to print across the network to the laser. So all was well.

Recently I had a couple of problems with the NT machine (the usual BSOD's
etc) also had a couple of problems with the SuSE PC and still feeling my
way as newbie I took a while to get things going again, that is with the
exception of printing from the NT PC.

I have been back through the documents and run through the 11 tests in
diagnosis.txt and the setup checks out OK between the two machines.

The following is my smb.conf

# Global parameters
[global]
 workgroup = HOME
 netbios name = PENGUIN
 interfaces = eth0
 encrypt passwords = Yes
 update encrypted = Yes
 map to guest = Bad User
 printcap name = cups
 load printers = yes
 preferred master = Yes
 wins server = 192.168.0.1
 printer admin = @ntadmin, root,john
 hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0  127.0.0.1
 printing = cups
 veto files = /*.eml/*.nws/riched20.dll/*.{*}/

[public]
 comment = public
 path = /home/public
 read only = No
 guest ok = Yes

[print$]
 comment = printer drivers
 path = /etc/samba/drivers
 write list = @ntadmin, root,john
 browseable = yes
 guest ok = no
 read only = yes

[printers]
 comment = All printers
 path = /var/spool/samba
 printer admin = root, @ntadmin, john
 guest ok = Yes
 printable = Yes
 browseable = No
 public = yes
 writable = no

On the NT Pc (NT$ sp6a) I can use windows explorer, browse to Penguin
(linux pc) see the shares and the printer. When I attempt to add the printer I
can proceed through selecting the port, printer model etc but as soon as I
select finish I get access denied.

I have tried this logged in as administrator, and as a super user..no
difference.

I would appreciate any advice on how to sort this out.

Thanks,

John

This email has been pre-scanned using the latest Anti Virus
software for your peace of mind.

Please remember to maintain your own anti virus up to date with
the latest reference files.