[Samba] Re: Winbind broken after 2.2.8 upgrade

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 27 01:27:26 GMT 2003

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 04:11:13PM -0800, Shawn Wright wrote:
> Ok, stupid me. Somehow I missed updating /lib/libnss_winbind.so on both
> these machines. Presumably this would have also caused corruption of the
> winbind idmap?

I doubt it, actually.

> Since winbind is now installed with a "make install", would it not be a good
> idea to also install libnss_winbind.so also? Or at least provide some version
> checking in winbind so that it will fail to start and report an error if it
> encounters the wrong version of libnss_winbind.so?

Winbind doens't *require* libnss_winbind - there are actually situations where
it is used without it.  That said, I've implemented some extensive version
checks from the client side - we certainly won't connect to a winbind with
a different protocol version any more.

> It seems that the idmap file is a very weak link in samba right now, so every
> effort should be made to prevent corruption during upgrades, etc.
> In our case, I was able to re-apply acls for 400 users, but quota information
> for a large shared file volume was lost, as I could not re-map the ids, and
> had to reset file ownerships to avoid users having incorrect quota
> assignments.

Yes, we need to work on that - the outsource of this into LDAP is one example
of these efforts - and we did have a project to dump/import the tdb to a text
file, but I'm not sure what happened to it...

Andrew Bartlett