[Samba] Samba 2.2.8-1 as W2k Member server

Andre Dieball andre at dieball.net
Wed Mar 26 16:33:44 GMT 2003

Hello

I have a problem with setting up Samba as a AD member server.

Environment:
Linux tux 2.2.20-idepci (Debian Woody)
samba                       2.2.8-1.woody
samba-common                2.2.8-1.woody
smbclient                   2.2.8-1.woody
(samba from people.samba.org/~peloy/samba)

Smb.conf:
---cut---
[global]
        printer driver file = /etc/samba/printers.def
        encrypt passwords = true
        character set = ISO8859-15
        socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
        kernel oplocks = No
        invalid users = root
        password server = de-mail, plains
        interfaces = xx.xx.xx.xx/255.255.255.0
        security = domain
        server string = PDF-Test
        workgroup = xx_xxxx
        log level = 3
        local master = No
        client code page = 850
        netbios name = tux
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m
        guest account = nobody
        os level = 2

[shr]
   path = /shr
   browseable = yes
   writeable = yes
   guest ok = yes
   force user = nobody

[pdf]
        comment = PDF Printer
        path = /var/tmp
        create mask = 0600
        guest ok = yes
        printable = Yes
;       browseable = No
        print command = /usr/bin/printpdf.sh %s %U
        lpq command =
        lprm command =
        printer driver = HP C LaserJet 4500-PS
        printer driver location = \\%h\printer$

[printer$]
        path = /etc/samba/printdrivers
        guest ok = yes
        read only = yes
        printable = yes
---cut---

I have created a machine acount in active directory named tux (as the
netbios name in smb.conf) and made it pre W2k compatible.
Aftrewards, I stopped samba and used:

Smbpasswd -j xx_xxxxx -r de-mail -U administrator

With the active directory administrator domain and received a message, that
the domain has been joined.

I see the node in network neighbourhood, but I can't access it. It always
askes for a username/password combination.

Any help is really appriciated.

Rgds.
	Andre