[Samba] Samba 3.0 - a bunch of really high level questions

th0th at th0th.com th0th at th0th.com
Wed Mar 26 07:35:39 GMT 2003

Hello everyone... I am a long time samba user (3 or 4 years), though I
never ventured into the alpha stages until recently (alpha 21, I'll move
to 22 in the near future once I get a better idea of what's going on). I
am very interested in Samba being part of a ADS domain, but I have been
a little frustrated due to the lack of documentation. Specifically, I've
read the HOWTO's from the University of Navarre and idealx, and I've
gotten to the stage where I have all users on my machine authenticating
through LDAP, samba is using LDAP to authenticate, etc. And I've gotten
it to act as what appears to be an NT4 PDC.

Reading through the available documentation, the WHATSNEW.TXT, etc. I am
reading all these entries like "Active Directory support. This release
is able to join a ADS realm as a member server and authenticate users
using LDAP/kerberos." etc. but I have found very little guides on how to
implement this, or even what is meant by "member server". I am assuming
this means that the 3.0 branch cannot yet act as an AD server in a
native mode (i.e., non mixed mode) 2000 domain. Well what exactly CAN it
do?

These may sound like stupid questions, but I've found very little on
exactly:
    1) what ./configure options I should be compiling samba with in
order to use as much of the active directory member features
available.
    2) whether I need to have a kerberos kdc installed on the smb
server, or anywhere on the network, or not at all.
    3) I know that ADS realms utilize special SRV records in the DNS,
should I implement these, how?
    4) trust relationships in 2000 environment. Is it possible, what
needs to be done.

Basically, I have a reasonable amount of free time, am very interested
in the project, have minimal coding skills but a pretty firm grasp on
the technologies, have a basement full of linux, XP, and 2000 machines
with a VPN into a "pure win2000 domain" for comparative testing, and
want to help you people test this puppy out... just need a little more
specific guidance on what it can do, and how to implement it.

Cheers and keep up the fabulous work,

th0th

"go bravely with th0th"