[Samba] Samba printer share with Windows

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Tue Mar 25 23:57:20 GMT 2003

Make it simple.

Get a print queue on your Samba server that can handle postscript files.
This will need a correct printcap file. Something like this works for
me in my printcap:

ps|z53:\
        sh:sd=/var/spool/lpd/z53:mx#0:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :if=/usr/local/lexmark/z53/z53.sh
        :mc#1
        :sh:

(hmm... I forget what mc does)
Make sure you run checkpc -f, if you are using lprng.
Make sure your restart your print server after setting this up.

Then, in your smb.conf, have something like this:

[ps]
	comment = Filtered for Z53
	path = /tmp
	read only = No
	create mask = 0700
	guest ok = yes
	hosts allow = 192.168.
	printable = Yes
	printing = lprng
 	print command = echo %J %p %s  >>  /tmp/junkJ;\
                       a="`echo '%J' | sed "s/^.*- //"`" ;\
	               echo This is truncated $a >> /tmp/junkJ;\
                       /usr/bin/lpr -Pps  -J"$a"  %s;\
                        rm %s
	lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -Pps
	lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -Pps %j
	lppause command = /usr/sbin/lpc hold ps %j
	lpresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc release ps %j
	share modes = No
        use client driver = yes

You don't have to have a fancy print command. But, I do specify all
commands. It gets interesting when you realize you can have anything
you want for these commnands.

If you are using lprng, make sure your /etc/lpd.perms is permissive. Here
is all I have in mind, just this one line:

DEFAULT ACCEPT

Then, on your windows client, select for your printer an HP Laserjet
III Plus or something similar sounding.

In this way, you should be sending a postscript file to your samba server
which should be able to handle postscript files.

Joel