[Samba] A samba document manual project

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Tue Mar 25 14:36:56 GMT 2003

> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:45:11 -0800
> From: "Raj Saxena" <rajan at ipisland.com>
> To: <SAMBA at LISTS.SAMBA.ORG>
> Cc: steven_hatch at yahoo.com
> Subject: [Samba] A samba document manual project
> Message: 19
>

> Hey guys,
>         After rolling out samba 2.25-10 as a pdc which is the stock samba
> with redhat 8.x.

Of course, you should either use an updated release (most distros have
patched packages available), or encourage users to upgrade due to
security vulnerabilities in releases prior to 2.2.8.

> I am going to document and make a manual with screenshots.
> The key items i am going to do are as follows
>
> Document with screenshots for every step of the way.
> Explain what is happening when you join a domain.
> What to do when things don't work. Where to look what else to try.

Take a look here first (a bit outdated now):
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/muo/connect/csamba6.html

> There are features that I have not implemented so if anyone has there
> documentation expertise would be of great help.
>
> Why another manual? Although many of us do know how to do it i think
another
> manual that has been beta tested and checked before it gets published
makes
> a difference. I have seen many docs on pdc but there was something or the
> other missing. Being a sys. admin we all say rtfm!! but there are
times one
> just wants the answers asap and its not possible to find it.

A quick search in smb.conf (5) followed by a google should turn up most
issues, if not, mail the list ...

> So my expertise is based on redhat on x86,I will address win pc's that are
> nt4, xp and win2k.

9x is probably still worth mentioning. Server versions also.

> If anyone is interested to participate i would like to have folks that are
> running something on aix,irix, sun, bsd and others, to participate. Yeah i
> know we all don't have that much free time. Neither do I but i think for a
> lot of newbies who put a post up here can refer to this manual. I
don't have
> a deadline but i know that i can publish at least what i have on the
fly as
> we are putting this together.
>
> Please respond to me on or off the list with the subject samba manual.

FYI, I have been assisting someone to write a document covering
LDAP-Samba PDCs in more detail, using samba-2.2.8 for Mandrake from the
samba FTP mirrros, since we have packages available both with and
without LDAP support. Note also that AFAIK SuSE ships with both
ldap-enabled and non-ldap-enabled packages. LDAP is becoming more
important, and is worth discussion.

Regards,
Buchan

- --