[Samba] Samba as PDC and PAM authentication

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Mar 25 07:46:29 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 02:50, Daniel MERC wrote:
> I am using samba as a PDC on linux. It works fine with encrypted
> passwords. But now i need use a PAM authentication and PAM requires
> plain passwords. When i use "encrypt passwords = No" in smb.conf a PAM
> is out of game. Is there any way to use a PAM authentication with samba
> as PDC ?

Not for NT or Win2k.  Only Win9X can have 'domain logons' without
encrypted passwords.

Running with plaintext passwords is a security risk, and is no longer
tested by MS.  This means that there are a number of known client bugs -
bugs that just 'go away' when you enable encrypted passwords.

(and you need to apply the registry patch).

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net