[Samba] Re: Mapping samba shares to a second linux box

Andrew Niven niven at cdxit.com
Tue Mar 25 05:44:09 GMT 2003

Thanks for the quick reply.

As root everything works correctly. The problem is I am receiving files in
the apache server and need to store them on the a storage drive so that they
can be processed by other computers.

What I can't understand is that everything works correctly from windows. I
log in as smbuser and have full access to everything I require. It's only
the linux share that fails with automount.

The permissions on the automount are as follows

[niven at devweb niven]$ ls -la /share
total 5
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root            0 Mar 25 15:03 .
drwxr-xr-x   20 root     root         1024 Mar 25 09:02 ..
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         4096 Mar 25  2003 webdocs

If I'm reading this correctly then only root has write access but the
frustrating thing is how do I get public access to this share when not
logged in as root.

"Barry, Christopher" <cbarry at infiniconsys.com> wrote in message
news:08628CA53C6CBA4ABAFB9E808A5214CB0142B631 at mercury.infiniconsys.com...

have you tried to hard mount it as root? Why do you need the automounter?
mount -t smbfs //192.168.69.202/webdocs /path/to/webdocs

Also, what are the actual unix permissions on the share's unix folder? It's
very odd that you can edit as smbuser, but not create.

--
Christopher Barry
Manager of Information Systems