[Samba] Can't reach Samba shares from Win XP Pro

Srinivas Murty srinivas.murty at verizon.net
Tue Mar 25 02:39:07 GMT 2003

This seems to be common enough problem. I've used a variety of methods
(command line as well as utilities like LinNeighborhood) to mount XP
shares on my RedHat 8.0 running Samba 2.2.7. I get consistent problems
the other way around. Despite a couple of shares on my Linux partition,
I am just unable to do get to it. Network Neighborhood shows my
Linux/Samba server but no shares, nor can I explicitly map the share to
a Win XP logical drive.

While troubleshooting by reading Sam24hc13.qxd (an extract from an
excellent book, I might add), I found that I run into trouble trying to
use "nmblookup -B <broadcast address> <Samba machine name>". The same
command works fine if I give it the names of my two XP machines. I
somehow suspect this is the main reason why I'm having troubles
elsewhere. Does anyone have an answer?

Srinivas Murty