[Samba] XP can see Linux but Win98 can't

richard rcoates at bigpond.net.au
Mon Mar 24 08:43:26 GMT 2003

have you been experimenting with samba on rh8 ? ie changing names, ips
etc ...? try shutting down samba ....
killall smbd nmbd
the shutdown/restart script for 2.2.7 & 8 doesen't work on redhat..
delete browse.dat and wins.dat (search..maybe /var/cache/samba/ ??)
start samba...script ok here !
restart other clients to re-register with wins , allow a min or two to
settle..
smbclient -L rh8box ...looks up itself through wins ? and shows browse
list (w98 pcs?) and browse master and workgroup name ?

you use security=share ?
os level =400 ! .hmmm..anything over 34 beats nt domain controller.
see how that goes.
Richard Coates.