[Samba] XP can see Linux but Win98 can't

Caleb Hanger cdhanger at att.net
Sat Mar 22 17:02:39 GMT 2003

Dear Samba List:
	Thx in advance for all help that can be provided.  I have set up a
samba server on a RedHat 8.0 box, and I know I've got it configured
correctly, because I can do everything I would ever want to do with it
with a networked Windows XP laptop.  However, a third and fourth
machine, both running 98SE, also on the network, cannot see the server,
no matter what I try.  These two interact with the XP machine and vice
versa just fine, so it's driving me crazy that these two won't see the
Linux box!  Here is my smb.conf file:

;*******************section global*****************
[global]
log file = /smblog
wins proxy = yes
remote announce = 192.168.0.255/WORKGROUP
netbios name = calebs
wins support = yes
os level = 400
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = Samba Server
printcap name = /etc/printcap
load printers = yes
printing = lprng
security = SHARE
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
preferred master = True
encrypt passwords = True
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
dns proxy = no
;*******************section homes*****************
[homes]
path = %H/Public
comment = Home Directories
browseable = True
writable = yes
create mask = 0750
;*******************section printers*****************
[printers]
create mask = 0700
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
guest ok = no
writable = no
printable = yes
;*******************section Windows HD*****************
[Windows HD]
path = /mnt/windows
guest ok = yes
guest_account = nobody
writeable = yes
;*******************section public*****************
[public]
comment = Public Stuff
browseable = yes
path = /home/public
public = yes
printable = no
write list = @users
writeable = yes

I would greatly appreciate any help that can be provided on this issue.
Thx,
	Caleb Hanger