[Samba] Samba as a PDC

Robert Adkins II radkins at impelind.com
Sat Mar 22 13:42:15 GMT 2003

	You should submit your smb.conf file. There are likely a few
areas that need tweaking in it to work properly. Also, the WinXP
machines will need to have Machine Accounts created in Samba.

	You also must have the Samba server, or another server,
configured to act as a WINS server for the Win9x machines. In the Win9X
network configuration window, the IP Address of the Samba or other WINS
server must be inserted into the correct location.

	Reply to the list with your smb.conf file and someone might be
able to help you out.

	Other then that, I would recommend picking up a copy of
O'Reilly's "Using Samba". It is slightly dated in regards to
configuration, however it does have excellent supporting information
which will fill in many gaps regarding how a Windows Domain and the SMB
protocol functions.

	There is also some limited information available in Swat, the
web-based configuration tool, that should have been installed along with
Samba. (Automatically, not something that you needed to install.) You
can access that through Webmin, which should have been installed by
default on Mandrake 9.0.

	If you look at or configure your smb.conf file in Swat, be
prepared for some "radical" changes to your smb.conf file. Swat strips
out all of the "nonsense" (to the samba service) from the file. This
streamlines and greatly increases the speed at which Samba will run,
mostly because Samba will reread the smb.conf quite often while running.
(Which means if you make a change, add or remove a share, you needn't
restart Samba which could possibly drop some users from accessing
shares.)

	If you are REALLY new to Samba and fairly new to Linux, I am
unable to recommend this next piece enough. You must learn UNIX groups
and file permissions. Without a fairly solid understanding of those two
pieces, you will have significant issues with your file shares.

Regards,
Robert Adkins II
IT Manager/Buyer
Impel Industries, Inc.