[Samba] Considering upgrade - looking for input

John LeMay jlemay at njmc.com
Sat Mar 22 00:02:00 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I'm considering upgrading my Samba server (originally Mandrake 7.2, but
bears little resemblance to it anymore) from 2.0.10 to 2.2.8. I'm
wondering if I'll be gaining anything in the upgrade in the way of
performance, management, etc. It's a pretty simple enviro handling a few
shares - home dirs, public share, etc - and probably won't grow to much
more than that.

Basically, since I can't install the Mandrake RPMs due to their
requirements (newer glib, etc. that I am not willing to install) I'll end
up building from source. I don't mind spending a few keystrokes doing
this, but I don't want to run into any unforseen issues

Anyone have any advice (except for maybe "if it ain't broke...") on
whether the upgrade should run smoothely or should I just skip it? Should
the performance improve any?

--
John LeMay
KC2KTH