[Samba] Ext3fs/ReiserFS Performance Enhancing

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Fri Mar 21 18:27:19 GMT 2003

Simple question, is writeback caching enabled in your disks firmware. How you
turn that on/off depends on the drive brand. Some ship with write caching
enabled, some don't.  Also note, this a bit dangerous especially if you don't
have a UPS, a power bump/failure can leave the filesystem in a funny state.

Note I've experienced the same issues you have with an NT4 server and never
resolved it after replacing all the hardware with identical and different
components and multiple os reinstalls.

I suspect you'll want to look at the e2fsprogs suite

http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ext2.html

as it includes tools for tuning the ext2 and ext3 filesystems, specifically
tune2fs.

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting