[Samba] 100GB incremental backups

Tom Schaefer tom at umsl.edu
Fri Mar 21 16:50:36 GMT 2003

Yeah, I think possibly I can and might look into it if need be, but thats not nearly as accurate as if ctime was working properly.  Particulary the case where a bunch of files residing on the local hard drive of a PC are moved onto the samba server.  Samba puts all those files onto the Unix file space with the same mtime stamp that they had on the PC.

So, say I've got 100Meg of files on my PC with modified times anywhere in the past other than today, which is basically any 100Meg set of files you're going to have on your PC, and I move them over to the samba server, they would NOT get backed up in that evenings incremental backup, they wouldn't get backed up until the next full backup was done.

Hundreds of Megs of files being moved off of PCs onto the samba serveer is VERY common around here.

Tom Schaefer