[Samba] smb.conf problem

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Fri Mar 21 16:01:10 GMT 2003

"public" is a synonym for "guest ok". Check for that in the output
of testparm

John wrote:

> Using SuSE V8.0 and Samba 2.2.7a-SuSE on a small network
> printing was OK from Win NT PC to a Linux printer until a few days
> ago.
>
> I am now getting confused about my smb.conf file, there is a line
> public=yes which I gather should be under [printers] or [print$] or
> both sections.
>
> I checked the /etc/samba/smb.conf file and added in that line to both
> sections using Kate (editor) as root.
>
> I can check smb.conf with testparm (as root or user john) and it
> checks OK but a dump of it in the terminal does not show the line I
> have added. I have stopped and restarted smbd and nmbd and
> even rebooted the computer but still that line does not show up
> when I dump smb.conf after running testparm.
>
> What am I doing wrong here? Is the line I entered public=yes
> working? It shows up in Kate OK?
>
> Any advice welcome?
>
> John
>
> This email has been pre-scanned using the latest Anti Virus
> software for your peace of mind.
>
> Please remember to maintain your own anti virus up to date with
> the latest reference files.
> --

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177
PGP Key: 0x8408D65D