[Samba] How do I upgrade from 2.2.5 to 2.2.8

A.J.Dawson A.J.Dawson at Bradford.ac.uk
Fri Mar 21 11:44:01 GMT 2003

Hi,

> On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 09:25, Mark.Roth at mylanlabs.com wrote:
> > Samba List Serve Users:
> > Is there a document or web link that follow that describes the steps
> > upgrade Samba from 2.2.5 to 2.2.8?  The documentation on samba.org the
> > have read assumes that the install is a fresh install and not an
> upgrade.
> > Thanks so much,

I recently upgraded from Samba 2.2.2 to 2.2.8 from source.  I had a quick
look at the Makefile before I started and there are rules for installing
the files, uninstalling the files and reverting the files to the previous
version.

I simply unpacked the source into /tmp/download, cd'd to
/tmp/download/samba-2.2.8/source, issued a './configure' and a 'make',
then su'd to the root user and inssued a 'make install'.

The install process backed up all of the old files it was replacing (to
filename.old) and didnt touch any of the tdb files or smb.conf itself.  I
restarted Samba and everything ran fine!

As everything went okay, I've not had to use the 'make revert' command,
but looking at the Makefile, I see no reason for it not to work.  Does
anyone have any experience of using it?

Regards
Andy

Dr. Andy Dawson
A.J.Dawson at Bradford.ac.uk
http://www.mossie.org
http://www.museum-explorer.org.uk

 Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.