[Samba] Ghosting Linux Partitions.

JJunge at paritaet-th.de JJunge at paritaet-th.de
Thu Mar 20 10:20:57 GMT 2003

I can't tell you exactly.
But when I migrated to softraid I had to copy
the root partition to the raidset and had problems with cp.

I think the important issues about tar are:
      - Prerserving the numeric own
         Besause you booting with a rescue system
      - Preserving soft and hardlinks exactly in the way the are
         (your root partition is now in /old/ )

ATTENTION:
It is absolutly right what Sebastián Abate said. Tar will not preserve
ACL's.
So refere to the star man page.

Cheers
Joerg Junge

Jörg Junge
EDV-Koordinator

Paritätischer Wohlfahrtsverband
Landesverband Thüringen e.V.
Bergstr. 11
99192 Neudietendorf
Deutschland

Tel : +49 36202 26 204
Fax: +49 36202 26 234

Question:  why would one tar and not simply cp -a?

Fax: +49 36202 26 234

Be carefull if you use ACL, tar don't save your acl's configuration. Use
star.