[Samba] Missing [homes]

Marco De Vitis starless at supereva.it
Wed Mar 19 10:27:29 GMT 2003

Hi,
I configured Samba as fileserver+PDC for a network populated by Win2000
clients, starting from a smb.conf I found in a guide and editing it to
suit my needs. For example, I removed the [homes] section, because I
don't need users to be able to access their Linux home directories, and
having that section active caused the home shares to appear in the
network neighbourhood tree.
Below you can find the relevant options I'm using.

Now, everything works fine, but what happens is that each user logon
causes lines like these in Samba logs:

Mar 18 18:39:05 gpserver smbd[28590]: [2003/03/18 18:39:05, 0]
smbd/service.c:make_connection(252)
Mar 18 18:39:05 gpserver smbd[28590]: gp9 (192.168.1.9) couldn't find
service mdv

"gp9" is the client machine, "mdv" is the user logging in.
I suppose this is harmless, right? But is there a way to avoid it? Why
does it always look for the "username" service? Even if I remove the
"logon drive" parameter, the default value is the same...

Thanks.

Here are the more or less relevant options used:

[global]

	security = user
	encrypt passwords = yes
	domain logons = yes
	logon drive = Z:
	logon path = \\%L\profiles\%U
	logon script = netlogon.bat

[netlogon]

	path = /home/netlogon
	read only = yes
	browseable = no

[profiles]

	path = /home/samba/profiles
	writeable = yes
	browseable = no
	create mask = 0600
	directory mask = 0700

And here is the [homes] section I commented out:

#[homes]
#
#	comment = Directory home
#	browseable = no