[Samba] WinNT4WS problems... PLEASE HELP, URGENT

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Mar 18 13:31:34 GMT 2003

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Raj Saxena wrote:

> John,
>      Are you running samba as a pdc ?
Yes,

>      Can you connect via a win2k box?

Yes.

>      are you passing clear text passwords over ?

No.

> on nt4 if i am correct after sp2 it locked down the passwords going out
> in plain text. There was a registy hack so that if you were to
> authenticate against a samba server it would not work. If you fixed it
> to do plain text passwords it would then pass it through.

Do not use plain text passwords. Microsoft have not maintained it. A
client will disconnect sessions that are idle. Since the client caches
only the encrypted password it will not be able to restore broken (idled
out) connections if plain text passwords are used.

> Please tell us what version of samba are you running and are you running it
> as a pdc and your version of samba and service pack on your nt4 box.

Samba-2.2.2 upwards works fine with any Win2K. Samba-2.2.7a upwards works
fine with any WinXP Pro. The only thing you need to do is turn off sign
and seal support on the client. There is a registry patch for that in the
samba sources in ~samba/docs/Registry/Win/WinXP_SignOrSeal.reg.

- John T.