[Samba] Samba 2.2.8 compile failure - Solaris 8, SunCC, LDAP

Dallas N Antley dna+samba at clas.ufl.edu
Tue Mar 18 02:06:35 GMT 2003

/- On Monday (3/17/2003 22:50) John H Terpstra <jht at samba.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Dallas N Antley wrote:
>
> > My apologies if this isn't the correct posting address -- I didn't see
> > an obvious "report problems here" on the website.  Some of the code
> > modifications introduced between 2.2.7 and 2.2.8 don't appear to agree
> > with Solaris, using Sun's CC, with the LDAP support code.  Note that
> > I'm linking against the Solaris-bundled LDAP package (SUNWlldap).
[ ... ]

> Is OpenLDAP installed on your system, with the development libraries?

No, it isn't.  According to the 2.2.5 notes, I shouldn't need them.
This worked from 2.2.5 through 2.2.7, which is why I brought it up.
Due to our network configuration, we're not too concerned about the
lack of SSL support.

| Changes in 2.2.5
| ----------------
|
| See the cvs log for SAMBA_2_2 for more details
[ ... ]
| 4)  Correctly link against Sun LDAP libraries on Solaris 8 (even
|     through there is no apparent SSL support there)

If OpenLDAP is now a requirement, the documentation should be updated
accordingly.  Of course, OpenLDAP needs to include a pointer to the
Berkely DB source code, but that's another project entirely.

I'll try to locate the OpenLDAP dependencies and rebuild Samba
accordingly.  If that works, I'll post a follow-up message so we can
update the documentation.

[ ... ]
> Samba-3.0.0 supports multiple password back-ends. See man smb.conf and
> look for "passdb backend".

Thanks for the pointer.

				Dallas