[Samba] Samba vs Windows SAK; my observations...

bkrusic at yahoo.com bkrusic at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 19:14:13 GMT 2003

Hi,

I would like to post my thoughts.

First, our file server performance and rendering times
are 1/3 faster using a Linux backbone (I have detailed
files).  Our FTP site and Web site are more reliable
and faster using Linux than Windows.  I am also
deploying Linux workstations to augment/replace our
Windows workstations and ad to our OSX presence (watch
out for OSX, it will be a major player top come) due
to;

- more fleaxable interface (X vs Windows) and thus
better workflow for users.
- less overhead and thus increased life span of
hardware
- better (much better) admin tools to remote and
automate tasks.

Second, ofcourse Open Source has its risks, mainly
being accountability.  Also, the IT dep has to be
sharp and on the ball to properly support Open Source.

However (in my opinion), ROI and TCO are more
effective when applied to IT personel than IT
infrastructure.  In other words you will see better
reults with scaling your software to your hardware
rather than the opposite.  Plus your IT staff using
Unix (Linux, etc...) will give you the ROI and lower
TCO than using Windows and all you really gotta do is
empower them with a bit of knowledge and skill.

Bri-