[Samba] "guest only" not working?

Bertil Glassen bertil_glassen at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 19:07:44 GMT 2003

Running samba 2.2.7, I have samba acting as a PDC and
offering up print services.  When the user logs into a
Win2K machine and then tries to print, they end up
sending the print job as the user they logged in as
rather than the guest user even though I have "guest
only" set on the print service (see smbconf.snitch
below). I have "guest ok" set to "no" on the PDC part
see smbconf.auth) but that shouldn't affect the print
shares, should it?

It works fine for workstations that aren't logged into
the PDC--the print jobs are submitted as the guest
user and everything is great.  But for user's that
authenticate against the PDC to get access to their
workstations, the printers don't seem to be obeying
their "guest only" status.  Is this a bug or a
feature?  (Or, the most likely prospect, a
misconfiguration on my part that I don't see or
understand?)

Here's my smb.conf:

-----
[global]
workgroup = ILC_SAM

netbios name = auth
netbios aliases = snitch

smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
encrypt passwords = yes

wins support = yes

debug level = 1

max log size = 0

include = /opt/samba/lib/smbconf.%L

-----
Here's smbconf.auth, the PDC:

-----
null passwords = no
security = user
domain logons = yes

domain admin group = sambaadm

logon script = applogon.cmd
logon path =
logon home = C:\temp

guest ok = no

[netlogon]
path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
writeable = no
write list = sambaadm
guest ok = no

-----

And here's smbconf.snitch, the printers:

-----

security = share
guest account = www
guest ok = yes