[Samba] Win 95/98/Me problem.

Marcin Wolcendorf wolcendo at friko2.onet.pl
Mon Mar 17 18:56:46 GMT 2003

On Sunday 16 March 2003 17:19, you wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Marcin Wolcendorf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 	As I was unable to find solution anywhere else, I write here: I have a
> > problem sharing win 95/98/Me resources with samba (2.2.7a) as a PDC.
> > Windows can't get userlist from PDC (it seems, that windows times out).
> > Win 2k and XP don't have that problem. Is it just a configuration
> > problem,  or is it a general problem with samba?? How can I add a user
> > to share's access list???
>
> For starters, if you want help you will have to tell us what you have
> done. We do not have a crystal ball.
>
> I have three (3) WinMe machines that all use User Level Access Control
> without problems since 2.2.2. Was running 2.2.7a until a week ago, now
> 2.2.8. Recommend that you update - 2.2.8 is a security release.
>
> So tell us now: Specifically what have you configured in your Win 9x/Me
> network configuration?

W98 configuration:
Network in Control panel:
Net. conf.:
	client for M$ Netw., file sharing on,
Auth.:
	comp. name: goodoldsam
	wrk grp: chelmska
Acc. Ctrl:
	user-level, userlist from chelmska

IP from DHCP, DNS domain name: 'home',

> Also show us the globals section of your smb.conf
> file.

Samba server DNS name: debian.chelmska & debian.home

[global]

interfaces = eth0 eth2 127.0.0.1
bind interfaces only = yes

# Change this for the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of
   workgroup = CHELMSKA

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = %h server (Samba %v)

# If you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
;   load printers = yes

# You may wish to override the location of the printcap file
;   printcap name = /etc/printcap

# 'printing = cups' works nicely
;   printing = bsd

   guest account = nobody
   invalid users = root

# This tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 1000

# If you want Samba to log though syslog only then set the following
# parameter to 'yes'. Please note that logging through syslog in
# Samba is still experimental.
;   syslog only = no

# We want Samba to log a minimum amount of information to syslog. Everything
# should go to /var/log/samba/log.{smb,nmb} instead. If you want to log
# through syslog you should set the following parameter to something higher.
   syslog = 0

# "security = user" is always a good idea. This will require a Unix account
# in this server for every user accessing the server. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   security = user

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read ENCRYPTION.txt,
# Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation. Do not enable this
# option unless you have read those documents
   encrypt passwords = true

# Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration
# on a per machine basis. The %m gets replaced with the netbios name
# of the machine that is connecting
;   include = /home/samba/etc/smb.conf.%m

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details
# You may want to add the following on a Linux system:
#         SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

# --- Browser Control Options ---

# Please _read_ BROWSING.txt and set the next four parameters according
# to your network setup. The defaults are specified below (commented
# out.) It's important that you read BROWSING.txt so you don't break
# browsing in your network!

# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
   local master = yes

# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
# elections. The default value should be reasonable
   os level = 255

domain logons = yes

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
   domain master = yes

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
   preferred master = yes

# --- End of Browser Control Options ---

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
   wins support = yes
#   wins support = no

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
# Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
;   wins server = w.x.y.z

# This will prevent nmbd to search for NetBIOS names through DNS.
   dns proxy = no

# What naming service and in what order should we use to resolve host names
# to IP addresses
;   name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast

# Name mangling options
;   preserve case = yes
;   short preserve case = yes

# This boolean parameter controlls whether Samba attempts to sync. the Unix
# password with the SMB password when the encrypted SMB password in the
# /etc/samba/smbpasswd file is changed.
;   unix password sync = false

# For Unix password sync. to work on a Debian GNU/Linux system, the following
# parameters must be set (thanks to Augustin Luton <aluton at hybrigenics.fr> for
# sending the correct chat script for the passwd program in Debian Potato).
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .

# This boolean controls whether PAM will be used for password changes
# when requested by an SMB client instead of the program listed in
# 'passwd program'. The default is 'no'.
;   pam password change = no

# The following parameter is useful only if you have the linpopup package
# installed. The samba maintainer and the linpopup maintainer are
# working to ease installation and configuration of linpopup and samba.
;   message command = /bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/linpopup "%f" "%m" %s; rm %s' &

;   obey pam restrictions = yes

# Some defaults for winbind (make sure you're not using the ranges
# for something else.)
;   winbind uid = 10000-20000
;   winbind gid = 10000-20000
;   template shell = /bin/bash

--
Surprise your boss.  Get to work on time.