[Samba] Samba & Wins Server

Suggitt, Maria [DAN/PICK] maria.suggitt at emersonprocess.com
Mon Mar 17 13:55:41 GMT 2003

All

We have offshore (North Sea) a DEC Alpha running OSF3.2 and samba 1.9.17p2.
Samba was installed to allow the PC's on the company network access to the
reports that the DEC generates and stores in a specified directory. These
are accessed by mapping network drives from the PC.

smbd and nmbd are kicked off from inetd

The smb.conf file is

[global]
   guest account = mis
   valid users = mis
   workgroup = euabz
   wins server = 161.102.144.9
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
   server string = Samba Server for D1ETAP
   max log size = 50
   security=share
   preserve case = yes
   default case = no
   mangle case = yes
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   wins support = no
   domain master = no
   local master = no
   preferred master = no
   os level = 0
[GAS]
   comment = D1 Etap Gas Share
   guest ok = yes
   force group = users
   force user = mis
   hide dot files = yes
   follow symlinks = no
   wide links = no
   path = /usr/ETAP_EX/RUN/AUDIT/GAS
   read only = yes

I have been informed that the WINS server is to change as is the workgroup /
domain. I have been asked to modify the DEC Alpha accordingly.

The old WINS server was Win NT. The new one will be Win2k

My question - is it just a case of changing the wins server and workgroup
settings and restarting inetd (kill -HUP inetd processid) or do I have to
reboot the DEC, or do I have to upgrade Samba versions.

Also what would be required at the new WINS Server end ?

Thanks

Maria Suggitt

Software Technical Coordinator
Customer Service Department