[Samba] Win95 & Win98 - NOT WORKING - NT,2000, XP are ok (re posted)

Peter Carpenter peterc at osm.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 12:30:29 GMT 2003

Peter,

I'm not a Samba guru so am not the one to tell you the difference between
Samba 2.0 and Samba 2.2. I'm struggling myself to get printing to work from
various Windows flavours with Samba 2.2.6 in "server" security mode on
various unix flavours.

My guess is that your problem is just authentication i.e. the password
server is rejecting your old Windows boxes, perhaps because they are sending
the password in clear and not encrypted like the modern Windows. If so you
can put "map to guest = Bad User" in the [global] section of smb.conf and
they will be let in as 'nobody'. This is slack security to be sure - but it
works. You then have to check that 'nobody' can print from the spool
directory. This can fail because 'nobody' has a weird UID or because there
is no read access to one of the directories in the path.

PCC