[Samba] Re: XP "logon failure" but still logs on -- no roaming profile

Ulrich Kohlhase Ulrich.Kohlhase at t-online.de
Sun Mar 16 17:03:20 GMT 2003

Brian,

Did you try a plain and simple logon.bat first, like
-------------------------------------
@ECHO OFF
NET USE X: \\share\tmp /persistent:no
-------------------------------------
just to make sure your logon.bat isn't faulty ? You could even use a
"logoff.bat" (net use * /delete ...) if you suspect the mapped drives to
cause the errors.

> net use o: \\share\office2000p /persistent:no /yes

Wonder what's the /yes switch for, doesn't seem to be documented in the XP
net use "manual page" (?)

> net time \\share /set /yes

At least on Win2k workstations your users need power user privileges to
change or set time service settings. As local administrator do the
following:
- net stop w32time (in case the service is running)
- net time /setsntp:192.168.x.x
- net start w32time (and/or change service start type)

Any errors or warnings in your workstations logs?

The XP/Win2k profile issue has been discussed in recent threads, so we added
"nt acl support = No" to stop local caching of roaming profiles in our Win2k
only domain:

[netlogon]
  comment = ...
  path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
  root preexec = /usr/local/samba/scripts/genlogon.pl %u %g %m
  root postexec = /usr/local/samba/scripts/genlogoff.pl %u
  read only = No
  browseable = No
  guest ok = Yes
  locking = No