[Samba] Samba problems

Spiro Philopoulos spiro at novra.com
Sun Mar 16 03:43:34 GMT 2003

 I'm trying the latest versions of Samba on a LRP box (kernel 2.2.19), namely
versions 2.2.7a and 2.2.8, but whenever I try to access a share it fails and
the smbd log has the following error message:

    build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt!  username smb1 not in
unix passwd database!

 I have the user accounts defined in the smbpasswd file and in /etc/passwd.
When using an older version (2.0.4b) I have no problems at all. Also, when
trying to change a Samba password using smbpasswd I get a similar error message:

  build_sam_account: smbpasswd database is corrupt!  username smb1 not in unix
passwd database!
  Failed to find entry for user smb1.
  Failed to modify password entry for user smb1

 I configured it during the build to use the traditional smbpasswd file. Does
anybody know what this is?.
 Another issue is that nmbd won't start up if I have "interfaces = all"
specified in the global section of smb.conf, which again wasn't a problem with
the older version.

Thanks in advance for any help.