[Samba] Am I getting the best performance?
Leroy van Logchem
Leroy.vanLogchem at wldelft.nl
Fri Mar 14 19:22:21 GMT 2003
> Much more overhead! NO questions!
> > > What file system? ext2, ext3, reiserfs, xfs, jfs???? Even that makes a
> > > hugh difference.
> > All my server file systems are ext3.
> Good results then. Try ext2fs.
I'am running two 1+ Terrabyte servers using samba, but I changed
from ext3 to SGI's XFS - much faster with alot of small files and
also much faster when multiple users are accessing alot of files
( even a dir listing with 2000 files went several times faster )
So for real performance:
- buy 3ware ide raid controllers (10+ points for the 8500 serie!)
- use XFS instead of ext3 (no battles please)
- when having 400+ users think about troughput management(ratelimit/ip)
- attach only *one* disk per ide port if you concat/stripe
- copper gigabit is getting cheap now...
More information about the samba