[Samba] can't print after upgrade to 2.2.7a

Jeff D. Hamann jeff_hamann at hamanndonald.com
Fri Mar 14 18:34:46 GMT 2003

I've run out of the ideas and I thought I'd ask here regarding a problem I'm
having with my samba config file(?) or setup.

I've recently upgraded from samba 2.0.10 to 2.2.7a and can access my shares
on my FreeBSD 4.4 machine just fine. I can access file, etc and when I went
to print I got the following message "laserjet2200 on Stimpy Access denied,
unable to connect". I have the following smb.conf file...

[global]
workgroup = skookum
server string = Samba Server [FreeBSD 2.2.7a]
load printers = yes
printcap name = /etc/printcap
log file = /var/log/log.%m
max log size = 50
encrypt passwords = yes
securitry = user
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
==============================
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writeable = yes

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
guest ok = no
writeable = no
printable = yes

and I can see the printer when I browse. I've noticed I have to use the
printcap name option (before I didn't) otherwise I cannot see the printer
when browsing the network. My printcap file contains the following entry:

HP2200PS|laserjet2200|lp|HP LaserJet 2200 PS:\
:sh:nb:\
:lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

And I'm trying to access the printer from both Win2K and WinXP and both give
the same results. I can also print from the FreeBSD machine and the
permissions on my /var/spool/samba dir are drwxrwxrwxt.

I have no idea how to resolve this and there's alot of questions on the web
regarding similar problems but few answers. Does anyone know of a solution?

And I don't suppose anyone can diagnose my printcap file and explain why my
printer will spit out an extra page after every print job from windows in
finished (at least it used to) and not when printing from the unix machine.
Thanks,
Jeff.