[Samba] Roaming Profiles with Samba PDC

Scott Millhisler sjmlistread at sjm.net
Fri Mar 14 00:16:43 GMT 2003

John:

I thought it would be a good idea to follow up with how I came out with my problem of getting Samba configured correctly as a PDC.

While I hate to admit it publicly, the main stumbling block in my attempts to get Samba working correctly was my lack of understanding on how Samba shares are handled.  For whatever reason I read about them over and over but never looked at their usage correctly, especially when assigning a value to one of the path parameters.  With that key piece of understanding missing I was not setting up the directory structure correctly.

A good example of this is the Profiles share.  Wherever the logon path pointed to the profiles share I would always want to create a directory to match how the logon path appeared.  Therefore if the logon path appeared as:

	logon path = \\%L\profiles

I would view that as needing to have a directory of the root of my server called "profiles", as opposed to that referring to the path of the profiles share.  Of course I knew that there was a share defined as "profiles" but somehow I thought that either Windows or Samba was referring to that by some other means.  It sound stupid now but it made sense that the time!  :-)

Anyway, I have it working now and it is all making perfect sense.  Thank you for all of your help.

Scott Millhisler
SJM Computer Consulting -- Perry, Michigan

From: John H Terpstra <jht at samba.org>
Date:  Tue, 11 Mar 2003 05:38:25 +0000 (GMT)